A walk in the garden (state)

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Adaptation

As some people know, I'm a newbie in this place. I've been a newbie for almost 9 months now and, apparently, there are still things that are waiting for me to discover. I like this place a lot. Coming here was like an adventure for me. And most of the time it's a lot of fun (especially when i don't have to study), even though I sense compassion from some of the people who have never really lived farther than 100 miles from home. Fortunately, humans have adaptation capabilities and are not afraid to use them :).

People keep asking me what the hardest thing to get adjusted to here is. Until some time ago, I had no idea. It wasn't THAT hard, after all. After you start making friends it even gets to be fun. "Some time ago" ended when I found that some people graduate or finish the career stuff they were involved in and have to leave. I'm so not used to that. Moving around is not that common where I come from. Right now, at least 3 of the friends I made here had to leave, probably for good. And it's true that the internet makes the world a smaller place, but who's actually writing emails regularly to friends far away when you're used to hanging out with them? I guess sometimes it's not all about the information exchange :).

One of the guys who live nearby said he's tired of saying good-bye. He's been here for only a year, just like me, and I feel the same way. But if we're going to be around this place for 6-7 years, this is kind of part of the package and we have to live with it. Plus, some have to go, but there's new people coming around all the time, new opportunities to make friends and new opportunities to eventually say good-bye (notice my optimism :D)

2 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous sayd...

Seems like living relationships on the "fast forward" mode.
Hello-good bye...easy come-easy go...out of sight-out of mind...
One has to be emotionally very strong to handle this kind of rapid turn-over.
But I guess you get used to it,like you get used to so many strange ,new things and situations.
I wonder if keeping all relationships on the surface,with no deeper emotional involvement would be an appropriate option.
How do other ..."aliens" cope with that kind of chalenge?

 
At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous sayd...

Well.. i don't know if you really have control over how much emotional investment you make in your relationships. If you like somebody you don't always keep in mind that they'll eventually leave, right?

I don't know about other aliens :). I guess most of them don't invest in people that much..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home